Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Richard Russell: Dow To Drop to 6,547; Higher Taxes, QEII and New Stimulus Coming

Dow Theory Letters, July 19, 2010:

Got gold? Richard Russell, the investing icon, is convinced that we have been in an upward correction in an ongoing primary bear market, based on his interpretation of the 50% principle, plus my analysis of the very poor action of the “internal market” over recent weeks.

He joins the camp that because of the serious issues with the US and global economies, new stimulus measures are coming

“I envision the Dow dropping to test, and possibly violate, the 6,547 level. I don’t know whether this will take place this year, but I wouldn’t be shocked if it does. It would not surprise me if the Dow tests the 6,547 level. And if that happens, I can almost guarantee the US will have sunk into the much-feared “double-dip” recession.

“If the US begins to shrink into a double-dip recession, I expect the Obama administration to go ‘wild’ with new stimuli and ‘make-work’ programs, all of which will be financed with higher taxes and a further major expansion of the Federal Reserve balance sheet. I would also expect every central bank in the world to simultaneously open their money-printing spigots wide, wide, wide.

“Conclusion in a nutshell: the secret of the forthcoming picture lies with the action of the U.S. stock market. Again I’ll remind my subscribers that the function of the stock market is to discount the future, not to mirror the present. All news is history. Or as Wall Street puts it, “news known is news discounted”.

“One of the biggest mistakes amateurs make is to think something they know is unknown and not already discounted by the market. Despite this, the media insist on describing every move of the stock market as being a reaction to some current event or some new government statistic. They couldn’t be further off the mark. As I read it, the poor action of the current stock market is telling us that the future for the U.S. is bearish and a hard rain lies ahead.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Financial TV

Blog Archive

// adding Google analytics